An Artistic Monologue

Right-brained, right-winger at work.... Creativity. Yeah, that's my thing.

I work in any medium I can get my hands on: Keyboard (writing), Paper (from drawing & painting, to Origami), yarn (crocheting), camera (photography), computer (digital art, rendering, etc). Yeah, right brained...most definitely.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Bryce

I love computer rendering software Bryce was one of the first I ever used.

I was first introduced to Bryce in 1995 and fell in love with the program's capacity to create realistic renderings of nature (mountains, lakes, canyons). The software was such that settings could be tweaked to make pseudo-nature scenes, surreal images that approached photo-like quality. It came with many pre-packaged textures and the interface was such that a novice could put together something impressive with a minimal of effort.

Software of this sort is quite common nowadays, but at that time it was something fairly new.

I was not the only one to have discovered Bryce and there were a few BBS's dedicated to the sharing of those images. Within a couple years, the internet was inunndated with user-created Bryce rendered images which could be graded and rated. They came out with guidelines to help users avoid coming off as amateurs, and the number one rule to avoid getting low ratings was to avoid (at all costs) using the checkered texture as it was the most often used and tell-tale sign of a newbie (aka n00b).

More for giggles than anything else, I created this image as a direct contradiction to rule number one. I personally think the checkered texture and its variations are pretty cool, actually.

The Chekered Texture Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment