An Artistic Monologue

Right-brained, right-winger at work.... Creativity. Yeah, that's my thing.

I work in any medium I can get my hands on: Keyboard (writing), Paper (from drawing & painting, to Origami), yarn (crocheting), camera (photography), computer (digital art, rendering, etc). Yeah, right brained...most definitely.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Office Art

Yeah, I love to fold paper. I am, by no means, an Origami Master; at best, an educated enthusiast. Folding paper is soothing and a great way to spend a couple minutes when at work and waiting for a meeting to start or for some automated task to finish.

Paper Cranes, made using traditional Japanese Origami tissue paper. Yeah, they're traditional and somewhat passe, certainly not at all avant guarde, but they're fun to make and even more fun to play with (imagine sitting in a conference room full of Aerospace Engineers and flapping the wings of a paper crane).

These Origami Mystery Boxes are made from three square sticky notes. I love these! They are particularly impressive when you have good strong colors, which make them pop out. I was impressed one Christmas by making one using bright colored paper and discovering that they looked like an impressive ornament when put on the Christmas Tree. I learned how to make these one day while I was poking around On Demand shows and came across a section that had crafts for kids. I'm forever in debt to the guy who demeaned himself in his attempt to make origami an exciting showy activity for children (it was pitiful, but I appreciated his effort). Over the years I've continued to make these little boxes and handed them out to kids who think they're pretty cool but soon ruin them by taking them apart and can't put 'em back together again.They're called Mystery Boxes because -- depending on the size -- you can put little treats or at the very least secret messages inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment